Pro Tips for Hosting an Out-of-State Mid-Term Rental Portfolio
Today’s expert guest is Sarah Weaver, co-author of the new MTR management book, 30 Day Stay. She joins the show to detail her amazing journey – around the world and back again – to Omaha, where she’s now grown roots as a trusted MTR hosting mentor, real estate investor, business coach, speaker, and global workshop leader.
Sarah is financially free and has leveraged mid-term rentals to design a life she loves. In this episode, we hear all about the beginning of her travels – managing her first property from Argentina and buying her second from Mexico – all the way through to her burgeoning empire in the American midwest (with a pandemic pitstop in New Zealand, of course).
Her wealth of experience and wisdom goes so much deeper than midterm rentals; steeped in the low-grade pressure cooker of solo female global travel and through work with her own mentors, her perspective on the world gives us so much to learn from.
(00:01:13) #STRShareSunday: @40th.and.fruit
- Highlighting local attractions and activities
- Set up a unique Airbnb URL for your listing
- Power in replying to reviews – all of them!
(00:06:49) Sarah Weaver’s Worldwide Hosting Journey
- Teaching and working in South Korea and Germany
- Learning money hacks to enable her travel
- Setting up her first property by hand
- Managing it from Bueno Aires, Argentina
- Buying and operating her second listing from Mexico
(00:17:10) Managing Rapid Growth in 2020/21
- De-emphasizing speed to savor the experience
- Running three companies with six employees
- Bali to Malaysia to living in a van in New Zealand
- Adding 12 doors in 92 days in Iowa
(00:27:05) Shifting Strategy to Mid-Term Rentals
- Introducing: The BRRRR-STR method
- The plan to target travel nurses as tenants
- Communication expectations for MTRs
- Automated messages that seed extended stays
- Hitting 97% occupancy in 2022
- Target events to run a hybrid model STR-MTR
- Prioritizing safety for your guests
- Sarah’s vetting process for MTR guests
- One extra actionable tip for getting MTR bookings
(00:46:58) Growing Roots in Omaha, Nebraska
- Creating MTR coursework and mentorship
- Grab Sarah’s book, 30 Day Stay, published by Bigger Pockets
- Writing a book on processes
- Teaching mentees how to invest out of state
- Who Not How by Dan Sullivan & Dr. Benjamin Hardy
- Launching a furnishing business: Arya Design Services
- Invested Adventures to foster micro communities
- Visit thanksforvisiting.com/workshop to watch our Hosting Business Mastery Method workshop!
- Airbnb Essentials Checklist: hostchecklist.com
- Read: 30 Day Stay by Sarah Weaver & Zeona McIntyre
- Instagram: @sarahdweaver
- Furnishing services: Arya Design Services
- Investor retreats: Invested Adventures
- #STRShareSunday: @40th.and.fruit
This Asia Town, Cleveland duplex beams with natural light in its eight inviting rooms, creating a warm and welcoming vibe. Renovated by architects, it mixes historic charm with modern touches like original wood floors and a well-stocked kitchen. Upstairs, find a bright, minimalist setting with new wood flooring. Outside, the shared backyard bursts with shade trees, fruit gardens, and seasonal flowers, offering a cozy escape all year round. Get ready to embrace history and comfort in this delightful urban haven. Congrats to Superhost Sarah for the Guest Favorite listing.
We would love to feature YOU, so don’t forget to use #STRShareSunday to get your chance!