Double Your Bookings with This STR Listing Strategy
How can you ethically list your large rental twice to make the most of a bigger property?
In Sarah’s example, we split a fourplex in two by installing quality door locks on the two upstairs bedrooms, and listing the property twice: one listing with 4 bedrooms for 8 guests, and the other with 2 bedrooms for 4 guests.
With this setup, you can still make the most of your property based on the time of year and local events, by prioritizing the larger listing and making the smaller version unavailable. Then, open up the small listing on select dates or for last-minute bookings.
To get the most out of this type of multiple listing (also called a parent-child listing):
- Offer a lower cleaning fee on the smaller listing version
- Avoid automatically-locking door locks
- Be sure there aren’t major amenities behind the locked door(s), like a WiFi router or fire extinguisher
- Link your calendar for both listings in Airbnb so that when it gets booked, it automatically blocks off dates for the alternate listing*
- Flex your pricing based on booking traffic to get the most out of both listings and avoid orphan nights
- Set expectations so that guests booking the smaller version of the listing are aware of the restricted area
- But, don’t forget to upsell the larger listing for guests that book and who may be interested in the extra space
Remember: we’re not advising that you list your same home twice. Platforms like Airbnb use property addresses to help cut down on duplicate listings and prevent spam. Be sure that your two listings are unique and have different check-in instructions to avoid issues with Airbnb.
*Note: things change, and Airbnb may change the calendar sync functionality in the future
- Our preferred Schlage lock for this setup: https://amzn.to/39zKIPR
It’s time for #strsharesunday! Today we are sharing Twisted Leaf Cabin!
I think it’s time we take a visit to Broken Bow because there are so many amazing STRs there!
They’ve done such an amazing job branding their space. We noticed while scrolling through the pictures that they have branded koozies, branded corn hole boards, etc.
YOU 👏🏼 ARE 👏🏼 YOUR 👏🏼 BRAND 👏🏼. Remember that! They’re also on TikTok… so don’t sleep on TikTok!
They also have such an awesome coffee space, something near and dear to our hearts and a word of advice: diversify your coffee and make sure your put time and effort into creating the coffee station for your space! ☕️
We would love to feature YOU, so don’t forget to use #STRShareSunday to get your chance!