Converting A Summer Camp Into Overnight Stays And Event Venue
Helen Christopher is a former elementary teacher turned hospitable host, author, and event planner in Upstate New York. In 2021, she bought a former girls summer camp called Brookledge which offers guests 60 acres of cabins, glamping tents, and event space. As owner, she helps guests reconnect with nature and disconnect from their hectic lives. Helen has been featured in the Times Union, Ramble and Roam blog, and Connecting Roads. In 2023, look for her in the book Hospitable Hosts (second edition). She now lives with her family and two dogs in what was once the nurse’s office at Brookledge and enjoys camp life every day.
Helen joins the show today to discuss how she came across Brookledge and what led her to buy the property, how she and her husband had to seriously downsize after moving into the Brookledge nurse’s office, and their proximity to Saratoga Springs, NY, a nearby tourist destination.
- @BrookledgeNY on Instagram
- Helen’s Airbnb Listings: Brookledge Camp, Crook Brook Cabin, and Cottage Cozy
It’s time for #strsharesunday! Today we are sharing Glenaire Cottages!
There’s so much we can say about this one, but we’ll try to keep it brief!
1. You can stay at their place and see koalas. YES. KOALAS. 🐨 We could just, mic drop there 🎤 because we’re imagining sitting on the deck and seeing a koala. That’s five stars right there ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
2. They use this one account to highlight all five of their cottages, and all the different experiences that you can have in their one property.
3. The next thing is they’ve done a really great job showing off their outdoor hot tubs. They’ve built them more into the ground, so they feel more native to the environment. And a part of the experience is having to climb in and they’ve built decks around them. So cool!
This post simply does not do this property justice, so iff you’re ever in Australia, look them up. We’re just super pumped about their property, the koalas and other wildlife, and how they show it all off on their instagram account!
We would love to feature YOU, so don’t forget to use #STRShareSunday to get your chance!